Date: 11/1/17 7:46 pm
From: Robert Jacobs <robertbjacobs...>
Subject: Re: Red Crossbills in Carondelet Park 11/1/17
Andrew and Chrissy,
Most folks that I have talked to are seeing them in White Pines and sitting
in leaf bare trees. They mostly seem to be Type 2, the Rocky Mt. or
Ponderosa type. If you observe them get a recording to determine for sure
by the sonogram which type it is.

Brad Jacbos

On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 4:35 PM, Andrew Reago <andrew.reago...>
wrote:

> Chrissy had a flock of Red Crossbills in Carondelet Park today. What
> kinds of trees are folks seeing them in?
>
> Chrissy saw them only briefly taking a quick rest on a snaggy dying
> leafless deciduous tree - then fly off never to be found again for today.
> This surprised her, since she and I had been looking in all the evergreens
> in the park.
>
> We've been looking in the pines mostly due to photos others have posted
> this year, but in years past, they really liked our hemlocks and sweetgum
> trees. We'd also see them occasionally in spruce out at Faust.
>
> What trees do those with experience, or those seeing them, recommend
> looking in this time of year?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Andy Reago
>
> andrew.reago
>
> St. Louis MO
>
> -

> <mobirds-l-request...>

> ASM Spring Meeting: May 4-6, 2018 at Arrow Rock Details and Online

ABA Birding Code of Ethics
http://www.aba.org/about/ethics.html

Join us on Facebook!