Date: 11/1/17 7:46 pm
From: Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Newport beach bird
*
I recall someone coming across a dead Barred Owl on Clatsop Beach in the last
three years or so. Almost certainly the commonest large owl in Oregon now. I hear them
once a week or more at my house. I heard Great Horned Owls here several times this summer,
the first time in nearly 25 years. Lars
On Nov 1, 2017, at 6:45 PM, David Irons wrote:

> These primary feathers are a perfect match for Barred and lack the broad buffy bars that would be shown by a a Short-eared Owl.
>
> Moisture and age could be factors in the primary tips looking more attenuated.
>
> Dave Irons
> Beaverton, OR
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Nov 1, 2017, at 5:47 PM, Robert O'Brien <baro...> wrote:
>
>> Whereas Barred has more rounded primary tips.(?)
>> https://photos.smugmug.com/Animals/BIRDS/OWLS/i-hnfFJpS/0/fd63f820/L/BAOWFlyingDown164291-L.jpg
>> Bob Obrien
>>

>> On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 4:43 PM, Robert O'Brien <baro...> wrote:
>> I've also seen SE Owls miles offshore, and I don't think they are 'lost'. One time one came
>> into the birding boat's wake as if interested in what was going on. Then it continued South.
>> GH owl seems right.
>> See https://visitbigskymt.com/wp-content/uploads/great-horned-owl-pixabay.jpg
>> Bob OBrien
>>

>> On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 4:27 PM, Isaac Denzer <bartailedgodwit...> wrote:
>> It's not a SE Owl, look at the wing pattern. To me it looks like a Barred to me. Or, it could possibly a GH, but the wing stripes generally aren't so prominent or dark on them, so I really doubt it is one.
>>
>> Isaac Denzer
>>

>> On 11/1/2017 5:14 PM, Jeff Gilligan wrote:
>>> Short-eared Owl? I have seen them far at sea from cruise ships.
>>>
>>> Jeff Gilligan

Join us on Facebook!