Date: 11/1/17 6:33 am
From: Devorah the Ornithologist <birdologist...>
Subject: [Tweeters] What Museum Collections Of Century-Old Birds Tell Us About Our Dirty Air
Hello everyone,

I just had to share this sweet little research project where the authors --
both graduate students at UChicago -- develop a new and remarkably clever
method for figuring out how much air pollution there was in particular
manufacturing cities in the midwest, even as long as 100+ years ago. they
measured SOOT on the plumage of birds that museums had collected a century
or longer ago!

What Museum Collections Of Century-Old Birds Tell Us About Our Dirty Air
tinyURL: https://tinyurl.com/ya5f3lzv
http://www.forbes.com/sites/grrlscientist/2017/10/31/what-museum-collections-of-century-old-birds-tell-us-about-our-dirty-air/

i'm already VERY excited to watch the new directions that this one clever
little assay will inspire researchers to pursue.

hope you found this piece educational and interesting. Please do share with
others, even if they're not "birdie" people, this lovely study's
implications reach beyond ornithology.

--
GrrlScientist | @GrrlScientist <https://twitter.com/GrrlScientist>
<grrlscientist...>