Date: 11/1/17 4:16 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (31 Oct 2017) 24 Raptors

Observers: Kathleen Pileggi

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (2): Kathleen Pileggi.
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Partly Sunny, becoming Sunny (40-10% cloud cover), Ceiling - 30,000 ft.,
Visibility - 10 miles, Temps 44 - 57F, Winds West @ 10 - 15 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered Hawk,
5-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (65) and Turkey Vultures (70).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-0; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-3
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“’Croak’ the Raven, Nevermore”---

Halloween! I don’t work on Halloween. I take the day off! Come on now,
it was lucky I was here to count hawks. What of the hawks? They mostly
took this blustery day off, too. Besides, Ashland had stolen our
background clouds for the day – a fact denied, by Dave, even though I had
seen them drifting that way in unison. Put it all together, no Blog – see
you tomorrow!

One quick mention, though, seems appropriate. A Raven swept by at
11:20…croaking. I dubbed him, “Houdini.” Halloween - an appropriate day
to “croak,” if you have to – isn’t that right, Houdini? (Historians of
popular culture will know that Harry Houdini, the incredible magician,
illusionist, and escape artist – died….um, “croaked” on Halloween -
nevermore to grace the stage. Google it, kids.)
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
1-COMMON RAVEN, 2-Horned Lark, 2-Ruby-crowned Kinglet, 6-Palm Warbler,
12-White-crowned Sparrow.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (3): Clouded Sulphur, Buckeye,
Painted Lady. Dragonflies (0): Reptiles & Amphibians (0): Mammals (1):
Eastern Cottontail.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 6.14; Steps: 14,393; Floors:
20.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 47; this season: 130
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like it might not be the best with cloudy and rainy
conditions expected.
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description: