Date: 10/31/17 6:46 pm
From: Alexander Hamilton <ispidina.picta...>
Subject: Re: [AZNMbirds] SE AZ: Rio Rico Golf Course - Red Crossbills - YES!
Hi All,

this afternoon (10/31), I decided to try and chase down the Red
Crossbills reported by Rob and his small army of birders yesterday
(now that I know the protocol for the closed and "locked" gate -
thanks Rob!).

first off, the RRGC is fantastic - the only downside might be too many
trees (loads of great habitat).

in any case, this afternoon I found the crossbills and at least one
Red-breasted Nuthatch near the "17th waterhole." there is a pond near
the clubhouse / main buildings, and then if you walked the signposted
birding trail backwards it would be the next largish body of water you
would come to. there is a long line of trees between the fairways and
the waterhole and the birding trail, the birds were in these trees.

I first heard the crossbills quietly chewing on the pine cones, but
they were mostly high up and well hidden and otherwise silent. I was
going to conservatively count 2 males and 2 females as I could never
see more than 2-3 birds (max) at a time, and when I had 2 males
simultaneously I figured okay, at least I know there are definitely 2
males. but I was fairly certain there were more birds. as luck would
have it, the flock of crossbills took flight and circled around
several times so I had a number of opportunities to count them... and
I ultimately came up with 40.

I'm still rather ecstatic...

Ron Batie
Rio Rico, AZ