Date: 10/31/17 2:15 pm
From: Kenneth J. Brock <kj.brock...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Lakefront (31-Oct-2017). Black-legged Kittiwake, Redpolls, & Red Crossbills
Today (31-Oct-2017) John Cassady and I birded the Indiana lakefront.

Although the wind was westerly we enjoyed a fine lakewatch with all three scoters, Long-tailed Duck, Black-legged Kittiwake, and Common Redpolls. Pals Magnitude of the flight was 17.24, which is currently the season’s fifth best flight.

—DUNES STATE PARK (AM & PM visits, met Eric Michaels in PM)
Common Loon,1 flyby
Sharp-shinned Hawk,1
Red-tailed Hawk,2
Golden-crowned Kinglet,2
Eastern Bluebird,4
Red Crossbill,59
Pine Siskin,4

—MILLER BEACH CONCESSION STAND
Lakewatch 8:15-11:30AM
Wood Duck,1
Gadwall,4
American Wigeon,3
American Black Duck,1
Mallard,70
Northern Shoveler,23
Northern Pintail,5
Green-winged Teal,34
Redhead,63
Ring-necked Duck,77
Greater Scaup,67
Lesser Scaup,570
Surf Scoter,6
White-winged Scoter,1
Black Scoter,1
dark-winged scoter,12
Long-tailed Duck,1
Bufflehead,11
Hooded Merganser,16
Red-breasted Merganser,18
Ruddy Duck,1
Red-throated Loon,1
Common Loon,16
Double-crested Cormorant,5
Black-bellied Plover,1 juv
Dunlin,2
Black-legged Kittiwake,1 juv- passed with a Bony flock
Bonaparte’s Gull,91- 75 adults & 16 first-cycle
Herring Gull,6
Lesser Black-backed Gull,1 first-cycle
Yellow-rumped Warbler,1
Common Redpoll,2- flyby calling- on landed

—MICHIGAN CITY HARBOR
Horned Grebe,1
Bonaparte’s Gull,13
Franklin’s Gull,1 first-cycle