Date: 10/29/17 1:06 pm
From: SARAH FAULKNER via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Passport to the Parks bill passed
Ironically, the Passport to the Parks bill will save those of us money who have been buying the annual pass. It seems a very good idea, and may bring more people to the outdoors and support the parks. Until, of course, the legislature decides the money will no longer go to the parks but into the general fund instead. But for me, as a teacher, my parks pass savings will be greatly overshadowed by the loss of 1% of my salary to the new teacher tax. I still can't believe the legislature thought it was OK to tax teachers to balance the budget, when the reason we have a pension problem is NOT the teachers but that the state has not fully funded their portion for decades. And teachers are a tiny portion of the overall pension deficit. Notice there was no pension tax on legislators, who also get a pension from the state (and not after teachers' 37 1/2 years to get it, either!). But hey, teachers have such a small voice. Tax 'em.

Not that I'm at all bitter.

Sarah Faulkner