Date: 10/28/17 8:30 pm
From: John Rakestraw <rakestrawbirder...>
Subject: [obol] north coast gulls, etc.
The Portland Audubon Gull Class spent a lovely sunny day looking for gulls
from Cannon Beach to Hamond. We found nine species of gulls, one less than
last year. They were, in order of increasing abundance (not counting
hybrids):
Bonaparte's
Ring-billed
Iceland
Herring
Glaucous-winged
Heermann's
Western
Mew
California

The best gull diversity was at the mouth of Ecola Creek at the north end of
Cannon Beach. Forts Stevens was too foggy to scan well, but we did pull
lots of Sanderlings and Dunlin out of the gloom. At least five River Otters
swam by us at the Hammond Boat Basin. One California Sea Lion was on the
beach at Gearhart.

Cheers,
John Rakestraw

--