Date: 10/28/17 11:56 am
From: douglas stotz <dfstotz...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Red Crossbills at Morton Arboretum
I went out to Morton Arboretum this morning in search of crossbills.
I focused my attention on the west side. I found a group of 4 female
plumaged birds in larches just west of Lake Marmo. At about 10:30, I was
looking at a large group of Pine Siskins when I heard the crossbills north
of me. I approached them from the south and saw them in the top of a
larch, as I tried to slip around to the east of get a better view they took
off and flew to the northwest, where there are many more conifers. I heard
them calling in that area for a couple of more minutes.
Besides the crossbills, I had huge numbers of siskins in the vicinity
of Lake Marmo and Hemlock Hill. My estimated high count was 185 in sight
at one time, easily the most I have ever had in Illinois at one time. But I
suspect there were many more birds around. Just hard to tell when I saw a
new group of siskins whether they were birds I had already seen or new
birds Other conifer birds included 5 Purple Finches and 7 Red-breasted
Nuthatches.
I checked Queen of Heaven Cemetery in Hillside for crossbills as I
have had them there in other flight years. Not a very thorough check, but
no crossbills or siskins. The pines there do not have much in the way of
cones, so may not hold crossbills, if they do show up in the cemetery.

Doug Stotz

--
Douglas Stotz
Conservation Ecologist/Ornithologist