Date: 10/26/17 7:40 pm
From: Michael Hobbs <birdmarymoor...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Marymoor Park (Redmond, King Co.) 2017-10-26
Tweets – an interesting day today at the park. There was a high, dark overcast without a hint of wind, and temps in the 50’s. The wind eventually picked up, and the overcast began to break up. No precipitation. It was on-and-off birdy – as is typical of fall, we’d go long stretches with nothing, and then come across a tree with eight species or something.

Highlights:
a.. Cackling Goose – many flocks overhead (hundreds of birds total); only about 50 birds landed
b.. TRUMPETER SWAN – flyover of three birds. One called. First of Fall (FOF), and somewhat early
c.. Ring-necked Duck – two from Lake Platform
d.. Virginia Rail – at least 4 called, slough and boardwalk
e.. Mew Gull – FOF (confirmed) – at least 3 on grass soccer fields along with Ring-billed, California, and Glaucous-winged (+”Olympics”)
f.. Northern Harrier – Juvenile over boardwalk area
g.. Great Horned Owl – Matt heard and saw one along boardwalk areas very early – FOF
h.. Northern Saw-whet Owl – Matt heard and saw one near east end of boardwalk, screeching at the GHOW – FOF.
i.. Pileated Woodpecker – two sightings, heard many times. Possibly two birds.
j.. Cedar Waxwing – large flocks still around
k.. American Pipit – barely heard a couple of times
l.. Pine Siskin – one or more flocks of about 80 birds
m.. WHITE-THROATED SPARROW – one working the moss and lichens 15’ and more up a small Oregon Ash along the slough – FOF
We had several overhead flocks of non-Mallard but otherwise unidentified ducks.

This is the earliest confirmed fall sighting for NORTHERN SAW-WHET OWL that we’ve had, but the species is fairly newly-known for the park.

After the walk, I re-covered some of the same ground hoping to confirm reports of possible Sora – no luck there, but I did hear a VARIED THRUSH from the Lake Platform, found a NORTHERN SHRIKE juvenile in the East Meadow (FOF), and spotted 4 KILLDEER in the NE fields. I also saw a group of 6 SWANS on the lake out from Idylwood Beach Park – five adults and a juvenile. It’s possible our three Trumpeters joined a family of three on the lake.

For the day, 60 species.

I was out last Sunday leading a field trip for members of the National Audubon Society board. We did an abbreviated loop from the Viewing Mound out to the Lake Platform on a very, very nice mid-morning. We had seven species Sunday that we didn’t have today: Snow Goose (flock of ~20 overhead), Wood Duck, Gadwall, American Wigeon. Eurasian Collared-Dove, Sharp-shinned Hawk, and Townsend’s Warbler, so our list for this week was 67.

Misses for the week include Hooded Merganser, Lincoln’s Sparrow, and White-crowned Sparrow.

== Michael Hobbs
== www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== <BirdMarymoor...>