Date: 10/26/17 7:06 pm
From: Janet Kelly <chamkell...>
Subject: Re: [RV Birds] A Steller's Jay can be a great addition to a list...
I’m in primarily oak habitat also and have, only in the last few years including this year, Steller’s Jays coming in. They’re liking the oaks and what they have to offer. Fun stuff!

Janet Kelly

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 26, 2017, at 3:31 PM, Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...><mailto:<keschneckdds...>> wrote:

... when you've been waiting 2 1/2 yrs. to add it to your house list (#123). I knew / hoped / expected to see one since they are only 2 miles away in Ashland but I'm in primarily an oak habitat so not ideal for STJA. I was so excited for what is often a common bird. I was on the couch looking out the window and saw what appeared to be a jay (size and shape) in an oak... at first I didn't think much of it, but it moved differently than a Calif Scrub-Jay (don't ask me what it was, it was just somehow different in my brain)... I couldn't see colors or the crest but just had a feeling, so I went out and confirmed my suspicion. I am fascinated by how the brain processes all the clues to reach an ID. Every time I see a bird for a fleeting moment, in the distance, with backlighting, etc. and can make an ID based on size, shape, behavior, and habitat it brings me a smile.