Date: 10/26/17 3:37 pm
From: Lonnie Somer <mombiwheeler...>
Subject: [Tweeters] crow playing catch
Hi tweeters,

As I was walking on the campus at Highline College (in Des Moines), I
noticed a crow swooping as if it was going to harass a raptor or some other
predator, but there were no nearby trees. Then it opened its beak and
plucked a nut-sized object out of the air. It then flew back up a few
hundred feet, dropped the object, and swooped down again and caught it. It
watched it repeat this 5 or 6 times before I had to run off to class. At
the risk of anthropomorphizing, it looked like it was having a lot of fun.
I've watched ravens chase feathers in the way, but I've never seen a crow
engage in this behavior before. It put me in a good mood for the rest of
the morning.

Good birding,
Lonnie Somer
Seattle