Date: 10/25/17 4:22 pm
From: Phil Kelley <scrubjay323...>
Subject: [Tweeters] NIsqually NWR 10/25/17
Tweets,

Today 35 of us enjoyed a chilly but productive day at Nisqually. we
had a 12.1 high tide at 10:39 AM and the birds cooperated.

We started with an AMERICAN BEAVER at the visitor center just before
8. And had a nice mixed flock at the start of the maintenance road
near the orchard. In it were both CHICKADEES, both KINGLETS, SONG
SPARROWS, a DOWNY WOODPECKER, BROWN CREEPERS, and a RED-BREASTED
NUTHATCH.

In the field across from the parking lot were 3 SNOW GEESE along with
several hundred CACKLING GEESE. There also were 3 WILSON'S SNIPE in
that area.

Out inside the estuary dike we had a lone, immature GREATER
WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE hanging out with a handful of CACKLING GEESE. An
AMERICAN BITTERN flew over the marsh and a VIRGINIA RAIL was heard
calling.

On the surge plain we found GREATER YELLOWLEGS, a female AMERICAN
KESTREL, and WESTERN MEADOWLARKS.

Along the estuary boardwalk we saw COMMON LOON, SURF SCOTERS,
BUFFLEHEAD (first of the season), DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANTS, and
several peeps, including LEAST and WESTERN SANDPIPER, DUNLIN, and more
GREATER YELLOWLEGS.

For the day I had 56 species and now have 133 for the year. Mammals
seen included BEAVER and HARBOR SEAL.

Until next week....

Phil Kelley
<scrubjay323...>