Date: 10/12/17 6:59 pm
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Blue-gray Gnatcatcher in Winthrop, etc.
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2017 23:58:59 +0000 (UTC)
From: Paul Peterson <petersonpaul63...>
Subject: Blue-gray Gnatcatcher in Winthrop, etc.

What a day to be birding, from 9:45-6:20, despite the somewhat breezy conditions. I started in Belle Isle Urban Wild, off Saratoga St. Good decision! I had only birded from here once before. I then went to Belle Isle Cemetery, another good decision, for it was here that I had the surprising BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER. I then went to Short Beach. After that I went to Lewis Lake. Finally, at high tide, I hit Winthrop Beach. (I am not going to say this was a good decision, for by now, you would probably find that to be rather annoying. ALL SHOREBIRDS, UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED, WERE AT WINTHROP BEACH. All sparrows were from Belle Isle Cemetery.

Double-crested Cormorant 360 three groups migrating at various times
Great Egret 15 together on bank of Belle Isle Inlet
Snowy Egret 2 ditto
Great Blue Heron 6
Green-winged Teal 2
White-winged Scoter 5 Short Beach Winthrop
TURKEY VULTURE 2
OSPREY 1
accipiter sp. 2
Red-tailed Hawk 1
AMERICAN GOLDEN PLOVER 1
Black-bellied Plover 120
Killdeer 3 Belle Isle flyovers
Semipalmated Plover 2 Short Beach Winthrop
SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER 3 incl. one Belle Isle
Dunlin 3
Sanderling 11
Ruddy Turnstone 11
Greater Yellowlegs 5 Belle Isle
Eastern Phoebe 1
Red-eyed Vireo 1 cemetery
Tree Swallow 50+ seen in one scan over marsh
MERLIN 1 Lewis Lake
Golden-crowned Kinglet 2
BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER 1 BELLE ISLE CEMETERY-behind giant brush pile; pished up from knotweed; great looks!
Palm Warbler 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler 4
Common Yellowthroat 1
NASHVILLE WARBLER 1 cemetery