Date: 10/12/17 1:16 pm
From: Alyssa DeRubeis <alderubeis...>
Subject: Yesterday's sparrows, inc. Nelson's (Benton Co.)
I conducted some transect surveys at Chesney and Stump Prairies in Siloam
Springs. The sparrow numbers significantly increased from last week. Most
abundant were SAVANNA SPARROWS. I also had lone CLAY-COLORED, LINCOLN'S,
and WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWS, plus a pair of SWAMP SPARROWS. An AMERICAN
PIPIT flew over and a PALM WARBLER darted threw a field. MARSH and SEDGE
WRENS were still common, but appeared to have dropped in numbers slightly.
I still haven't encountered any Sedge Wren nests...I'm still on the lookout
though.

The best find was what I believe to be a NELSON'S SPARROW, which I flushed
several times on the north side of Chesney on the border of a mowed and a
less-recently mowed area. It was in the south-central region of the
northern parcel. It was decent sized (e.g. bigger than Spizella species)
and very sneaky. It was dark but colorful from the brief glimpses I
got--darker than what I would expect for any other Ammodramus species.

Good birding!

Alyssa DeRubeis
Fayetteville, Washington Co.

Join us on Facebook!