Date: 10/12/17 11:27 am
From: Jeff Kozma <jcr_5105...>
Subject: RE: [Tweeters] Minor Mountain Chickadee (and Clark's Nutcracker) dispersal
Tweeters,

A biologist who works on the Yakama Reservation and is trying to collect whitebark pine seeds (main food of Clark’s Nutcrackers) said there are few to no cones this year in many areas they were searching for seed. In the Wenas area where I study White-headed Woodpeckers, there is pretty much a failure of ponderosa pine cones this year as well, another food source of Clark’s Nutcrackers (and Red Crossbills, which are virtually absent this year) when cones are abundant. We have also seen a movement of Steller’s Jays into areas of Selah and Yakima this fall. I checked out some oak trees along the Tieton River and there are very few if any acorns. Looks like many of the mast trees may not be producing this year. Would be interesting to know if other conifers are also showing the same thing.

I’ve also had Red-breasted Nuthatches and Pine Siskins (one flock of 12 and numerous single birds) in my neighborhood this fall and even a dispersing Hairy Woodpecker that flew over my yard after leaving my neighbors tree!

Jeff Kozma

Yakima

J c r underscore 5105 at charter dot net