Date: 10/12/17 8:49 am
From: David Griffin <birdingnm...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Kossuth County - Winter arrivals, Migrants, and Stragglers
Hi All

I was in Kossuth County earlier this week (Sun-Wed) and had some winter
arrivals, a few migrants, and some stragglers.

On my drive to Kossuth County there was a nice storm front moving in on
Sunday and many Franklin's gulls (1000s) were on the move; for example: I
had continuous hordes of southbound gulls for nearly 20 miles between I35
(Worth Co) and Thompson (Winnebago Co). More Franklin's gulls were moving
through Kossuth County on Sunday afternoon.

In Kossuth County:
Stragglers included DICKCISSEL, Eastern phoebes, Tree swallows, Barn
swallows

Migrants included FERRUGINOUS HAWK, Osprey, LeConte's and Nelson's
sparrows, Yellow-rumped warblers, Palm warblers

Winter arrivals included Fox sparrow, Dark-eyed junco, Golden-crowned and
Ruby-crowned kinglets, Smith's longspurs.

It seems there's been quite a bit of rain in Kossuth County the past 2
weeks and many of the open water areas, drainage ditches and rivers were
full, as well as much standing water in farm fields.

--
David Griffin
Muscatine, Iowa