Date: 10/11/17 3:21 pm
From: Mike Unger <unger730...>
Subject: [obol] Talking Water Gardens Field Trip Report
*SAS Talking Water Gardens Field Trip Report*

I was joined by five (5) other birders for our SAS Talking Water Gardens
field trip today. There was moderate rain in Salem and it looked like the
field trip would be a wash-out. However, once I reached Albany the skies
cleared a little and the rain stopped. It was nice but cool for the entire
trip with the temperatures ranging between 46 degrees and 48 degrees.
After Talking Water Gardens most of us went over to the pond in Simpson
Park for a brief time. The bird activity was a lot better than expected as
we identified (seen and/or heard) 39 species.

The highlights were as follows:

- We observed three rails including seeing a *Virginia Rail* and a number
of *American Coots* as well as hearing a *Sora* and another *Virginia Rail*;

- We saw two *Green Herons* including one that stayed on a log for a
while. We also saw two *Great Blue Herons*, a *Great Egret* and three
*Double-crested
Cormorants* that flew over us;

- The *Marsh Wrens* (5) were very vocal today (a lot more vocal than the
recent ones at Ankeny NWR);

- We saw four *Lincoln’s Sparrows* including a few close-up looks at them
which was cool;

- We saw one *Red-tailed Hawk* and got great looks at a *Sharp-shinned
Hawk*;

- There was a pair of *Acorn Woodpeckers* in the far northeast corner of
the gardens. The only other woodpecker was a *Northern Flicker* that we
heard;

- The main duck seen was the *American Wigeon* (156) with *Mallards*
coming in a distant second with 53. At Simpson Park we added *Wood
Duck*, *American
Pintail* and *Gadwall*;

- At Simpson Park we also saw a *Belted Kingfisher* and a flock of
*Bushtits*.

A complete list of today's birds follows. *Our next SAS *bird walk will be
at *Keizer Rapids Park* with the West Keizer Neighborhood Association
on *Friday,
October 13th at 7:30 AM*. Meet at the far parking lot near the boat ramp.
The *Ankeny NWR field trip* is on *Sunday, October 15th at 8:00 AM*. Meet
in the Overlook parking lot off of Ankeny Hill Road. Please join us if you
can.

Mike Unger

Keizer, OR

*Talking Water Gardens Field Trip Checklist Summary for October 11, 2017*

*Identified Species: 39*

Checklists included in this summary:
(1): Talking Water Gardens @ 8:30 AM
(2): Simpson Park @ 10:18 AM