Date: 10/11/17 2:10 pm
From: Kevin Lucas <vikingcove...>
Subject: [Tweeters] 6 Anna's; Automated remote camera triggering
Today there are at least 6 Anna's Hummingbirds visiting our feeders. That's
happened before here, but over 3 trips eBird's confirmation flag here in
Selah, in eastern Washington. Today I've managed to get photos of 6, maybe
more. It's been difficult, but a fun challenge. I can see all four feeders
from a spot in our kitchen. I finally set one camera on a tripod,
pre-focused at the front feeder, with a wireless remote shutter trigger. I
have a point-and-shoot superzoom Canon SX-50 HS I'm using handheld for
video and stills of hummers at the other feeders. I'm interested automated
triggering of a camera's shutter. There's CHDK software
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK for my Canon point-and-shoot cameras that
can use motion detection, and there are light beam interruptions systems.
Does anyone have, or know someone who has, experience using either of those
or other methods, who can offer me guidance? A home made solution is what
I'm interested in now, to fit my budget, but I could use ideas based on
prefabricated solutions to fabricate and cobble together electrical,
electronic, software, and hardware components, as I've done to make my
digiscoping contraption.

I'm not worried about the birds being "countable" on a personal list. I'd
like to be able to document individuals. It would be a special prize for me
to be able to distinguish between individual adult males.

Thank you for any tips or leads you can provide.

Good Birding,
Kevin Lucas
Selah, WA
https://www.aba.org/about/ethics.html