Date: 10/11/17 1:02 pm
From: David Weaver <cygnus-dkw...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Joppa Park Boat Ramp & Plum Island - 10-11-17

David Moon and I led today's Wednesday Morning Birding program out of
Joppa Flats Education Center to the Joppa Park boat ramp at low tide and
then on to Plum Island.  The mud flats on the Merrimack were quite
active.  Skies were overcast to partly cloudy; temps in low 60s; and
winds N-NE/~ 5 mph.

Our list:

Joppa Park boat ramp --
Mute Swan (3) - 1 ad, 2 juvs.
American Black Duck (~ 30)
Mallard - a few.
Double-crested Cormorant - common.
Great Blue Heron (1)
Black-bellied Plover - common.
Greater Yellowlegs - common.
Lesser Yellowlegs - common .
Semipalmated Sandpiper - common.
Dunlin (200+)
Short-billed Dowitcher (~ 12)
Bonaparte's Gull (~ 200)
Ring-billed Gull - common.
Herring Gull - common.
Great Black-backed Gull (~ 6)
tern sp. (1) - at a distance, appeared to be juv. Common Tern -- quite
late, though.

Plum Island --
Canada Goose (6) - pannes.
American Wigeon (3) - pannes.
American Black Duck - common.
Mallard - a few.
White-winged Scoter (7) - one ocean.
Black Scoter (~ 28) - one ocean (2 flocks: 13 & ~15).
Common Loon (5) - one ocean.
Northern Gannet (~ 25) - one ocean.
Double-crested Cormorant - 2 large flocks flying south.
Great Egret (7) - marsh/various.
Turkey Vulture (2)
Northern Harrier (2)
Red-tailed Hawk (1) - refuge entrance.
Herring Gull
Rock Pigeon - many, n. of refuge entrance.
Eastern Phoebe (1) - S-curves.
Blue Jay (~ 6) - S-curves.
Northern Mockingbird (6) - 1, lot #1; 5, North Pool Overlook dike.
European Starling - common.
Yellow-rumped Warbler (1) - S-curves [Note: 41 Yellow-rumps banded at
banding station].
Eastern Towhee (2) - S-curves.
Chipping Sparrow (~ 12) - flock of ~10 roadside; 2, S-curves.
LARK SPARROW (1) - S-curves (feeding roadside w/ Chipping Sparrows &
Indigo Bunting).
Song Sparrow (~ 6)
Dark-eyed Junco (1) - S-curves.
Northern Cardinal (1) - S-curves.
Indigo Bunting (1) - female, S-curves.
House Sparrow

We will meet again next week back at Joppa Flats at 0930 for Wednesday
Morning Birding. For more information about Joppa Flats programs, call
David Moon or Dave Larson at 978-462-9998.

Dave Weaver
Manchester, MA 01944
<cygnus-dkw...>

Join us on Facebook!