Date: 10/11/17 9:05 am
From: Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Looking for Rough-legged Hawks
*

Reports of Rough-legs routinely spike in western Oregon around Oct.20,
often the only time they are reported at the coast all year. The prairie
natural area at Finley tends to have them all winter in years they are
abundant. Also in various pastures extending north to the Corvallis
Airport. For some reason there seems to be a concentration of the
species between Suver and Airlie on the Benton/Polk county line.
This is a much more cultivated landscape than south of Corvallis.
Lars
On Oct 11, 2017, at 8:39 AM, Stephen Holzman wrote:

> You can always check eBird to find recent sightings. You don't have to
> be a member. Just visit: http://ebird.org/ebird/map/ put in the
> species name and change the date to the current month and year.
> Here's RLHA
> http://ebird.org/ebird/map/rolhaw?neg=true&env.minX=&env.minY=&env.maxX=&env.maxY=&zh=false&gp=false&ev=Z&mr=on&bmo=10&emo=10&yr=range&byr=2017&eyr=2017
>
> (closest one to you is Christmas Valley on 10/10)
>
> Last year there was a sighting at Finley NWR near the middle/end of
> October. I'm sure it could find food there.
>
> Steve Holzman
> Newport, OR
>

> On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 8:26 AM, Louise Shimmel
> <louise...> wrote:
>>
>> We have a Roughie ready for release (long story) and would be interested in
>> any sightings in the Willamette Valley. According to HawkWatch, one was
>> sighted over Bonney Butte already and one in western Washington - but we'd
>> love to hear if anyone has seen them yet - or when they do - in the Valley.
>> Thank you!
>>
>> Louise Shimmel, Executive Director
>> Cascades Raptor Center, Eugene OR
>> 541-485-1320