Date: 10/10/17 8:41 pm
From: David Arbour <arbour...>
Subject: Red Slough Bird Survey - Oct. 10
It was overcast turning partly cloudy, cool, and windy on the survey today.
65 species were found. Ford Hendershot joined me about half way through the
survey. I got a text from Terry Stuart (ODWC Technician)telling me he
flushed a small rufous winged dove on the Otter Lake levee road. We rushed
over there and found a Common Ground-Dove. I had received a call from
Charlie Lyons that morning telling me that he and a couple other birders
from Shreveport would be birding nearby in Arkansas today and that if we
found anything good to let him know. So I texted them and they came rushing
over and everyone got to not only see the bird but photograph it as well.
Also, Wood Storks and Roseate Spoonbills continue as well as both ibis',
Anhingas, and Neotropic Cormorants. The cold wind kept the Passerines
hunkered down as well as the gallinules but we managed to find a few.
Waterfowl numbers are increasing. Here is our list for today:

Greater White-fronted Goose - 1 (new early date)

Wood Duck - 28

Gadwall - 62

American Wigeon - 11

Blue-winged Teal - 380

Northern Shoveler - 28

Northern Pintail - 10

Green-winged Teal - 8

Pied-billed Grebe - 64

Neotropic Cormorant - 2

Double-crested Cormorant - 10

Anhinga - 9

Great-blue Heron - 11

Great Egret - 30

Snowy Egret - 57

Little-blue Heron - 15

Cattle Egret - 42

Black-crowned Night-Heron - 2

White Ibis - 22

"Dark" Ibis - 19

Roseate Spoonbill - 2

Wood Stork - 9 (new late date)

Black Vulture - 19

Turkey Vulture - 25

Northern Harrier - 3

Sharp-shinned Hawk - 1

Red-shouldered Hawk - 6

Broad-winged Hawk - 4

Red-tailed Hawk - 1

Purple Gallinule - 1 adult

Common Gallinule - 4

American Coot - 275

Killdeer - 39

Greater Yellowlegs - 1

Least Sandpiper - 15

Long-billed Dowitcher - 5

Mourning Dove - 4

Common Ground-Dove - 1 (new early date)

Belted Kingfisher - 4

Red-bellied Woodpecker - 1

Hairy Woodpecker - 2

Northern Flicker - 8

Eastern Phoebe - 4

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher - 1

Loggerhead Shrike - 1

Blue Jay - 12

American Crow - 82

Barn Swallow - 2

Carolina Chickadee - 5

Tufted Titmouse - 1

Carolina Wren - 1

House Wren - 1

Marsh Wren - 1

Eastern Bluebird - 1

Gray Catbird - 1

Brown Thrasher - 2

Nashville Warbler - 1

Northern Waterthrush - 1 (new late date)

Common Yellowthroat - 9

Eastern Towhee - 1

Savannah Sparrow - 3

Lincoln's Sparrow - 1