Date: 10/10/17 8:06 pm
From: Joseph Morlan <jmorlan...> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] McCown's Longspur Photos
FWIW, here are mine.

https://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/McCown'sLongspurP1120785.htm

On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 19:22:55 -0700, "Mark Eaton <marksffo...>
[SFBirds]" <SFBirds-noreply...> wrote:

>And my pictures are up as well…
>
> http://markeaton.org/photo2.php?imageID=20171010291639775&galleryID=locallyrare <http://markeaton.org/photo2.php?imageID=20171010291639775&galleryID=locallyrare>
>
>I think we’ll have plenty more shortly… :)
>Mark
>---
>Mark Eaton
>Photography: http://www.markeaton.org
>

>> On Oct 10, 2017, at 19:15, 'Alvaro Jaramillo' <chucao...> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...> wrote:
>>
>> Nice shots Aaron!
>>
>> I would add that there are some subtle differences between McCown’s and Chestnut-collared. McCown’s has a more rectangular shaped head, there is a steep although short forehead, and then a flat crown. On Chestnut-collared the curve of the forehead-crown is more even. The bill is deep in McCown’s, but also very triangular
(equilateral) in shape, almost like a Fox Sparrow. In some respects aspects of the bill and head shape and bill color, are more like a Snow Bunting which some studies suggest is a closer relative to McCown’s than the other longspurs. The facial pattern of Chestnut-collared also shows a shadow of the adult male pattern, in that
there is a dark crescent at the lower rear of the ear coverts, and a dark triangle on the upper rear of the ear coverts; often the darkest part of the face on a Chestnut-collared are these areas and not near the bill or lateral throat stripes. This SF individual McCown’s has a buff chest area that is like a ghost pattern of the
dark breast
>area of the adult male McCown’s.
>>
>> Awesome photos, great learning by looking at them.
>>
>> Maybe we can score one in San Mateo!!
>>
>> Alvaro
>>

>> Alvaro Jaramillo
>>
>> <mailto:<alvaro...> <alvaro...>
>>
>> www.alvarosadventures.com

auriculars, plain bare--streaked buffy breast (which is very bright on this bird) and the rufous-toned median coverts (not bright like a male.)

--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA

http://www.yahoogroups.com/

<*> Your email settings: