Date: 10/10/17 7:15 pm
From: 'Alvaro Jaramillo' <chucao...> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...>
Subject: RE: [SFBirds] McCown's Longspur Photos
Nice shots Aaron!

I would add that there are some subtle differences between McCown’s and Chestnut-collared. McCown’s has a more rectangular shaped head, there is a steep although short forehead, and then a flat crown. On Chestnut-collared the curve of the forehead-crown is more even. The bill is deep in McCown’s, but also very triangular (equilateral) in shape, almost like a Fox Sparrow. In some respects aspects of the bill and head shape and bill color, are more like a Snow Bunting which some studies suggest is a closer relative to McCown’s than the other longspurs. The facial pattern of Chestnut-collared also shows a shadow of the adult male pattern, in that there is a dark crescent at the lower rear of the ear coverts, and a dark triangle on the upper rear of the ear coverts; often the darkest part of the face on a Chestnut-collared are these areas and not near the bill or lateral throat stripes. This SF individual McCown’s has a buff chest area that is like a ghost pattern of the dark breast area of the adult male McCown’s.

Awesome photos, great learning by looking at them.

Maybe we can score one in San Mateo!!

Alvaro

Alvaro Jaramillo

<mailto:<alvaro...> <alvaro...>