Date: 10/10/17 2:20 pm
From: Rick Borchelt <rborchelt...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Dead house sparrows
In College Park, mosquito spraying has ended for the season.

I am not convinced they "dropped dead" at the feeder. Normally birds
sicken and die away from the feeder; it was be odd for them to ingest
something and immediately expire. And that it's only House Sparrows makes
me wonder about the poison apple theory.

However, I am familiar with cats/hawks (Cooper's and Sharpies) killing
birds, sometimes with no or few visible wounds, and leaving them. Or birds
flying into windows/glass after being startled, lingering around the yard
as their internal wounds claim them.

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 4:42 PM, Marcia Watson <marshwren50...>
wrote:

> The state has been taking extra precautions in some areas because they
> have found mosquitoes carrying West Nile virus. And in much of MD,
> mosquitoes can be around through the winter.
>
> Marcia
> ------------
> Marcia Watson
> Patuxent Bird Club
> A Chapter of the Maryland Ornithological Society
> www.patuxentbirdclub.org
>
> Bowie, Maryland
> <marshwren50...>
>

> On Oct 10, 2017, at 4:36 PM, Logan Kline <logan.kline1997...>
> wrote:
>
> We haven't received anything notifying us of a spray, but it does look
> like we receive them on Monday nights. I'm not sure if they are still doing
> this at this time of year.
>
> On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 4:33 PM, Marcia Watson <marshwren50...>
> wrote:
>
>> Have they been spraying for mosquitoes in your neighborhood?
>>
>> Marcia
>> ------------
>> Marcia Watson
>> Patuxent Bird Club
>> A Chapter of the Maryland Ornithological Society
>> www.patuxentbirdclub.org
>>
>> Bowie, Maryland
>> <marshwren50...>
>>

>> On Oct 10, 2017, at 4:16 PM, Logan Kline <logan.kline1997...>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Is it only House Sparrows or have other birds been affected as well?
>>

>> Pete Givan
>>

>> Only house sparrows that I've found so far.
>>
>> --
>> Group 'Maryland & DC Birding'.
>> To view group guidelines or change email preferences, visit this group on
>> the web at http://www.mdbirding.com
>> Unfamiliar with a hotspot mentioned on this list? Quickly locate it here
>> - http://www.mdbirding.com/hotspot.html
>>

> --
> Group 'Maryland & DC Birding'.
> the web at http://www.mdbirding.com