Date: 10/10/17 1:15 pm
From: Logan Kline <logan.kline1997...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Dead house sparrows
On Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 12:31:44 PM UTC-4, Pete Givan wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 7:25:57 AM UTC-4, Rick Borchelt wrote:
> > When you say you had them drop dead, did you actually watch them expire or find the carcasses under the feeder?
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > On Oct 9, 2017, at 11:35 PM, Linda Just <lju......> wrote:
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Could it possibly be pesticides in the bird seed?  5 yrs. ago,  Scott's knowingly ignored the EPA's restriction on putting pesticides in the bird seed, causing multiple bird deaths.  They were fined, but such a small amount compared to their gross negligence.  To this day, I refuse to buy any Scott's products.  I even stopped buying their Miracle Gro fertilizer. Don't know if anything like that would be a possibility again, but I wonder.
> >
> >
> > Lin Just
> > Colora,  Md., Cecil County
> >
> >
> > On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 11:41 PM JAMES SPEICHER <jugor......> wrote:
> > On 10/9/17, Logan Kline <logan.k......> wrote:
> >
> > I have had two male house sparrows drop dead at my feeder in the past
> >
> > eight days...
> >
> >
> >
> > Hi
> >
> >
> >
> > Hmmmmmmmmmmmm a coincidence seems most likely.
> >
> >
> >
> > You mention disinfecting your feeder, but not how.  If I was doing
> >
> > that I would use a 10% bleach solution, then follow with a water
> >
> > rinse.  You'll feel better, but it will likely not make any difference
> >
> > in terms of bird health as the initial cleanliness [sp] would rapidly
> >
> > degrade. We probably do a disservice to wild birds by feeding them so
> >
> > much of the year.  I've cut back my feeding to the span from mid-Jan
> >
> > to mid-May in hopes that diseases will be less likely to spread among
> >
> > the feeding birds on that schedule.
> >
> >
> >
> > I searched for "bird feeding problems" to see what might show, but
> >
> > nothing stands out:
> >
> > http://www.bing.com/search?q=bird+feeding+problems&form=HPNTDF&pc=HPNTDF&src=IE-SearchBox
> >
> >
> >
> > If you are using commercial seed, it's unlikely there is a problem
> >
> > unless the seed has been stored improperly after purchase.
> >
> >
> >
> > Jim Speicher
> >
> > BroadRun/Burkittsville area
> >
> > [FR] Frederick County MD
> >
> > M.O.S. member Washington [WA] Co Chapter
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> >
> > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Group 'Maryland & DC Birding'.
> >
> > To view group guidelines or change email preferences, visit this group on the web at http://www.mdbirding.com
> >
> > Unfamiliar with a hotspot mentioned on this list? Quickly locate it here - http://www.mdbirding.com/hotspot.html
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> >
> > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Group 'Maryland & DC Birding'.
> >
> > To view group guidelines or change email preferences, visit this group on the web at http://www.mdbirding.com
> >
> > Unfamiliar with a hotspot mentioned on this list? Quickly locate it here - http://www.mdbirding.com/hotspot.html
>
> Is it only House Sparrows or have other birds been affected as well?
>
> Pete Givan

Only House Sparrows so far.

--
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Group 'Maryland & DC Birding'.
To view group guidelines or change email preferences, visit this group on the web at http://www.mdbirding.com
Unfamiliar with a hotspot mentioned on this list? Quickly locate it here - http://www.mdbirding.com/hotspot.html

 
Join us on Facebook!