Date: 10/10/17 1:04 am
From: Eddie <emgiles62...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Brrokline Bird Club Walk - Cumberland Farms--River St. Entrance, Oct 8, 2017
Cumberland Farms - River St. Entrance, Plymouth, Massachusetts, US
Oct 8, 2017 7:00 AM - 9:00 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.75 mile(s)
Comments:     Brookline Bird Club walk led by Eddie Giles. The morning
started out with very windy conditions which only intensified in the two
hours we spent there.  Upon arrival, nothing calling, chipping, tweeting
or moving.  As we walked the fields, anything that did flush immediately
put back down.  There were at least two groups of people that were
running dogs in the fields and we noted that the dogs themselves were
flushing few birds, if any.
14 species (+2 other taxa)

Wild Turkey  X     One or more turkeys vocalizing somehwere out of our
line of sight shortly after sunrise.
Northern Harrier  2     We saw Northern Harriers a few times in the two
hours we were there, but never more than two in the air at the same
time.  (There may have been as many as five.)  All were juveniles.
Cooper's Hawk  1     Involved in a dogfight with two Broad-winged Hawks
and some American Crows.  Both species of raptors simultaneously turned
the tables and chased off their pursuers. Determined to be a Coopers by
its larger size when compared to the Crows that were chasing it.
Broad-winged Hawk  2     Involved in a dogfight with a Coopers Hawk and
some American Crows.  Both species of raptors simultaneously turned the
tables and chased off their pursuers.  Determined to be Broad-wings by
their banded tails (noted by Karsten Hartel) and smaller size when
compared to the Crows.
Mourning Dove  10     One flock, in flight
Merlin  1     Seen in flight by Karsten Hartel.
Blue Jay  X     Heard only.
American Crow  6
Tree Swallow  30     Several small flocks seen between 8:00 AM and 9:00
AM, the largest flock comprised of 15 birds.
Gray Catbird  1     Pished out of a thicket with great effort.
warbler sp. (Parulidae sp.)  1     Flushed in a field, seen by Karsten
Hartel.
White-crowned Sparrow  1     Pished out of the same thicket as the Gray
Catbird.
Song Sparrow  20     Most numerous bird of the morning, affording quick
looks as the birds popped up briefly now and then; very few ever teed up.
sparrow sp.  X     Presumed to be mostly Song.
Northern Cardinal  1     Pished out of the same thicket as the Gray
Catbird and White-throated Sparrow.
Bobolink  8

View this checklist online at

Eddie