Date: 10/9/17 5:33 pm
From: Frank Gallo via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Surf Scopers Big Sit! 2017 final results
Hi all,

The Surf Scopers had a pretty good 2017 Big Sit! at Milford Point given the weather. Strong Southwest winds and rain don’t make for a great count, but we had a fine time. The wind was warm and the views lovely. There were quite a few Peregrines and Merlins passing through and we spent most of the day watching the 2 Whimbrels which is always a treat. We’ve only seen Whimbrel once before since 1993 when we started the Sit. I won’t rehash the what Frank M. posted, but we added three new species bringing our total to 70. Green-winged Teal was a great save as we’ve rarely miss it, and two Pectoral Sandpipers stopped in briefly before sunset. The gull numbers were getting impressive at sunset with more than 550 Herring Gulls coming in to bathe and to rest on the bars and breakwaters. We would like to thank our friend Georg Dewey who showed up with tarps during a heavy downpour and returned with a nice antipasto to help keep our energy up! We’d also want to thank everyone who stopped by to say hi and to lend a hand. It was much appreciated. This year we are raising money for the Livingston Ripley Waterfowl Conservancy in Litchfield. Their hope is to expand their education and conservation programs. It’s not to late to help support their efforts. You can make a pledge and check out the organization at:

HOME PAGE: http://www.lrwc.net/ <http://www.lrwc.net/>
PLEDGE FORM: http://www.lrwc.net/Big%20Sit%202017%20Livingston_Ripley%20Pledge%20Form.pdf <http://www.lrwc.net/Big%20Sit%202017%20Livingston_Ripley%20Pledge%20Form.pdf>

We greatly appreciate your support!

Frank Gallo, Milford

and the Surf Scopers Team: Patrick and Jim Dugan, Frank Mantlik, Tom Murray, and Dan Mercurio. It’s not to late to help out.