Date: 10/9/17 11:01 am
Subject: Re: Bell's Vireo at NC Aquarium at Fort Fisher - NO this morning but Gray Kingbird YES
Now that I have seen Jelmer's photo, which does look like an Eastern, I am
having second thought's on Jame's kingbird. Can it be the same bird that
Jelmer saw? After reviewing Sibley's field guide, and more photos online,
Jamie bird is starting to morph more to my eyes toward a juvenile Eastern.
The tail looks downright black from above, too dark for Gray, which should
be more brownish-gray or brownish-slate, or simply slate. The underwing
coverts do not look white or pale to me, a mark for Gray. The bill does
not look overly long or thick, and easily could fit an Eastern. Maybe
there is a light issue on the crown making it appear lighter. I also do
think I see hints of white tipping on the tail.

What do other folks think? Same bird -- Eastern -- as Jelmer's?

Harry LeGrand

Join us on Facebook!