Date: 10/9/17 10:04 am
Subject: Re: Bell's Vireo at NC Aquarium at Fort Fisher - NO this morning but Gray Kingbird YES
Hi,

I have now uploaded pictures of the kingbird that I saw there yesterday,
which, unfortunately, is still an Eastern: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ebird.org_&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=qEuNo_P8hrdhRlFyB8H1lBe26b-FPvqLzU2_wXyhm-w&s=oEXr6lUsyDZKvCMsaWFhaELViGEtB1zthLtbIHLBtLI&e=
ebird/view/checklist/S39618706. (Note that the white tip to the tail is
rather minimal, but there.)

I think I do agree with the assessment of Jamie's bird as a Gray Kingbird,
although I am finding it hard to interpret the colors in the very bright
light. I would presume that the pitch black looking tail on the third
picture is just due to it being in the shade? Similarly, the white edges on
the wing also look very contrasting on the second picture. But in addition
to Harry's points, the pale underwing, if not also a light effect, points
to Gray as well.

I have put up a long description of the Vireo at https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ebird.org_ebird_&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=qEuNo_P8hrdhRlFyB8H1lBe26b-FPvqLzU2_wXyhm-w&s=zMHLJiZmNjC3KEXxffT3Y7Ben7qQa5QS6y5ZCoNOrK8&e=
view/checklist/S39607551. I will upload the recording of the calls later
today, I'll have to extract the relevant bits from a long-running recording.

Best,

Jelmer

--
Jelmer Poelstra
311 Biological Sciences Building, Biology Department

Join us on Facebook!