Date: 10/8/17 2:15 pm
From: Don Morgan via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Bstn Hlw/Yale Forest, Ashford/Union, Fri. 10-6-17 Woodcock, Ovenbird
Can't resist going back to the area because I'm still finding birds. This
week an Ovenbird, which I hadn't seen or heard in a long time, an Am.
Woodcock and 2 Hermit Thrushes. I never saw a Woodcock in the Forest before this
year, and this was my 4th sighting, 3rd in the same area so possibly the
same bird. The Ovenbird was in the same place as the Woodcock, but only flew
over to a branch and then let me take his picture. I had no idea there were
any still around.
I also had an Empid which I'm calling a Least Flycatcher. It was in the
same spot where there was a (presumably) nesting pair, and appeared quite
small, with only one wing bar showing clearly when it perched. I see them a
lot in the spring and although obviously not singing now I'm pretty sure
about this one.

Oct 6, 2017 8:00 AM - 2:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
15.0 mile(s)
32 species

Turkey Vulture 1
American Woodcock 1 Flushed when I walked down an old road and flew
off twittering loudly. There was an Ovenbird with it, which surprised me
even more.
Mourning Dove 3
Red-bellied Woodpecker 8
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 2
Downy Woodpecker 6
Hairy Woodpecker 9
Pileated Woodpecker 2
Least Flycatcher 1 In same location where there was a pair all
summer and presumably nested. Well seen - fluttered up and landed on a wire
right in front of my car as I sat in it.
Blue-headed Vireo 6
Blue Jay 40
American Crow 7
Black-capped Chickadee 30
Tufted Titmouse 30
Red-breasted Nuthatch 1 1st one in a long time. same area as I always
find them
White-breasted Nuthatch 6
Brown Creeper 1
House Wren 1
Golden-crowned Kinglet 2
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 12 Probably a fallout just like there was of
GCKinglets a week ago
Hermit Thrush 2
American Robin 3
Gray Catbird 1
Cedar Waxwing 2
Ovenbird 1 A real surprise. Haven't seen or heard one in well over a
month, but it flushed when I was walking down an old road and sat on a
branch and looked at me. An Am Woodcock flushed from the same spot.
Black-and-white Warbler 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler 5
Chipping Sparrow 2
Savannah Sparrow 2