Date: 10/6/17 9:59 pm
From: PETER LOW <plbirder...>
Subject: Re: [COBOL] Green Ridge Winds
Hi Tom and all, generally speaking, our largest counts occur on West or South Westerly winds in conjunction with cloud cover. Under these conditions thermals are few if any, so the birds use the next best option, which is riding the updrafts along a North to South ridge. On those warm sunny days with variable winds I think the birds prefer to use thermals, and so are moving on a broader front and not concentrated on the ridge. From memory, flights have always been poor on winds out of the North.
I remember one year, on the Saturday birds were very few, and with Sundays weather Forecast exactly the same I made the decision to skip it and Bird some Where else. Turns out that Sunday was a big day! So, you just never know!

Peter Low
Bend Oregon.