Date: 10/6/17 8:39 pm
From: Mike Unger <unger730...>
Subject: [obol] Minto-Brown island Park Bird Walk Report
Sorry this report is a little late...from October 3, 2017.

*SAS Minto-Brown Island Park Bird Walk Report*

Fred, Kay and I led the SAS Minto-Brown Island Park bird walk on Tuesday
morning. We were joined by 13 other birders including some students from
Jane Goodall Environmental Middle School. It was a cool morning with a few
clouds and temperatures that ranged from 47 degrees to 65 degrees. We
walked about 3.3 miles as we covered the west side of the park. The bird
activity was fair as we observed (saw or heard) 33 species.

The highlights were as follows:

· We saw three species of woodpeckers including *Downy Woodpecker,
Red-breasted Sapsucker* and *Northern Flicker*;

· There were three *Wood Ducks* on the slough;

· We saw nine (9) *California Quail* near Parking Lot #3. One
young quail stayed out in the open for a long time as one of the adult
quail looked on from the brush;

· We saw one *Fox Sparrow*;

· The bird of the day was the *Black-capped Chickadee* as we
observed 28 of them; and

· Three *Double-crested Cormorants* flew over us during the bird
walk.

The next field trip is the *Talking Water Gardens field trip* on *Wednesday,
October 11th at 8:00 AM.* Meet at the Airport Rd. Park and Ride. We also
have a *Keizer Rapids Park bird walk* on *Friday, October 13th at 7:30 AM*.
Meet in the back parking lot near the boat ramp. The next *SAS Shorts* is
at *Brown’s Ferry Park* on *Thursday, October 26th at 8:30 AM.* Meet at
Airport Rd. Park and Ride. Please join us if you can.

Mike Unger

Keizer, OR

*Minto-Brown Island Park Checklist Summary for October 3, 2017*

*Identified Species: *

340 Cackling Goose
14 Canada Goose
3 Wood Duck