Date: 10/5/17 10:39 pm
From: Michael Fleming <michaelfleming01...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Discovery Park Produces Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Hello All;

This Morning (not so early), I arrived at the West Point Lighthouse in
Discovery Park (at 9:15 am) to try and relocate the PALM WARBLER which has
been seen there recently (with No Success!)..........But that does not mean
the birding was not good.....First bird seen was a LINCOLN'S SPARROW - not
bad in my opinion......So I looked harder and out popped a SLATE-COLORED
JUNCO (CASSIAR), a very striking bird in the sunlight, which stayed around
for a while, a Discovery Park first for me - off to a Very Good start.
Then a new Park bird for me showed up CALIFORNIA SCURB JAY and while I was
looking at it in the poplars another bird flew over me and landed in one of
the nearby shrubs...First very quick glance either a Sparrow or
Grosbeak..... Second and a little closer look - definitely a Grosbeak, but
this one looked different....Heavy streaking on the breast, Very Pale
Pink-Reddish Bill, no coloration (just brown and white).......Female
non-breeding ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK (Thanks to Ryan M. for confirming my ID
based on description) -- Nice....The bird did not stick around for very
long moving south further into the park, but I had a spot on 30 second
look at it perched near me ......I also had both a YELLOW WARBLER and an
ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER in the shrubs near the Poplars.....
I spent the entire time (two plus hours) just birding this area around
the lighthouse - in particular the poplar trees and surrounding shrubs
where the bird activity was amazing with Sparrows all over the place. This
might be a good place to check tomorrow morning (and maybe even earlier
than the time that I arrived)............You will need to get a pass as
they are monitoring parking here.....(Visitors Center opens at 8:30 am) or
walk down to the Lighthouse (a bit of a hike)...

Bonus Birds seen (since my Scope is being repaired - dropped it at
Nisqually)... Rhinoceros Auklet and White-winged Scoter..........

Cheers and Good Birding;

Michael Fleming
Ballard, Washington
michaelfleming01 AT gmail.com