Date: 10/5/17 5:00 am
Subject: Re: R-T Hummingbirds
In August we had 12 uniquely identifiable hummers here in the yard, with 8
feeders. Very successful breeding season from 2 adult males, four adult
females ..

Each of whom are still here plus about 7 more. Regular wintering behavior
at the feeders and in the yard of flowers started with the first NE winds
from hurricane Jose off of us. So, plenty of chasing and bickering
happening in every part of the yard

Susan is correct- they are very good at finding shelter in hurricanes. I
have watched individuals through a window from the house and they are
almost on the ground in thick shrubs and vines.

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 7:11 AM <susan...> wrote:

> Dear Frank and All,
>
> Hummer density in the late season is quite variable in the Carolinas.
> Birds are still coming through. I had none for several days but
> yesterday there were at least two here (battling fiercely over flowers
> and feeders. But I suspect the next front that passes through (next
> week) will hurry most on their way southward for the season.
>
> As for storm effects, although there was likely some mortality along the
> coast, these little birds are quite capable of hunkering down and
> surviving stormy weather. They sense the approach and will seek out
> sheltered locations to ride out wind and rain.
>
> However we are eagerly anticipating the first winter hummingbird
> reports. Western individuals will be arriving any day!
>
> Susan Campbell
> Southern Pines, NC
>
> --
Ann Maddock <am.hummingbird.photos...> Hatteras Island, NC

Join us on Facebook!