Date: 10/4/17 6:01 pm
From: Jim Danzenbaker <jdanzenbaker...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Cowlitz County vulture watching
Tweeters,

To feed my unnatural desire to see migrating vultures, I left Clark County
and headed to the north end of Woodland Bottoms (Cowlitz County - accessed
via heading West on Dike Access Road from I-5, go straight past Walmart and
the school and then bear right at the T intersection and stop at the
pullout on the left side of the road after the 2nd farm on the right). It
was worthwhile. My 4.5 hours was interrupted only when Russ Koppendrayer
called to let me know about a Surf Scoter and a Red-necked Grebe that he
had found about 1.5 miles south of my location. Totals:

Turkey Vulture: 188
Red-tailed Hawk: 8
Sharp-shinned Hawk: 4
Cooper's Hawk: 3
Merlin: 2
Bald Eagle: 4

There was one Snow Goose in a flock of 250 Cackling Geese near this
location. Sandhill Cranes were bugling in the background.

Keep your eyes and ears skyward.

Jim
--
Jim Danzenbaker