Date: 10/4/17 5:34 pm
From: Larry McQueen <larmcqueen...>
Subject: [obol] wed morning, Eugene
Beneath the grand, brightly lit blue skies over Fern Ridge, we walked to the terminus of Royal Ave and the dike westward from the platform south of Royal. One Snow Goose with a flock of about 30 Cacklers landed in full view from the platform. We were thrilled by the arial play overhead of an adult Peregrine and a male Harrier and the simultaneous inter-play of two Ravens and a female Harrier. The ducks were in good numbers, but not easily IDed in distance. One kite just north of Royal gate.
57 species

Gr. White-fronted Goose - 7 on the mudflat
Cackling Goose - small flock
Canada Goose - some around
Snow Goose - 1
Gadwall - 15
American Wigeon - 20
Green-winged Teal - good number
Mallard - least number of ducks
Northern Shoveler - 10
Cinnamon Teal - 1
Northern Pintail - some; not counted
Pied-billed Grebe - 3
Double-crested Cormorant - 1
American White Pelican - 4
American Bittern - 1
Great Blue Heron - 3
Great Egret - 10
Turkey Vulture - 3
White-tailed Kite - 1
Northern Harrier -
Accipiter species - 1
Red-shouldered Hawk - 2 or 3
Red-tailed Hawk - 1
Virginia Rail - 1
American Coot - small number
Black-bellied Plover - 1
Killdeer - many but not numerous
Greater Yellowlegs - maybe 20 seen
Lesser Yellowlegs - 1
Least Sandpiper - small number
Pectoral Sandpiper - 3
Western Sandpiper - many more than Least
Long-billed Dowitcher - maybe 100
Wilson's Snipe - 10
Ring-billed Gull - 7
Eurasian Collared Dove- 1
Acorn Woodpecker - 2 at corner of Royal and Fisher Road
Peregrine- 1
California Scrub-Jay - 2
American Crow - 2
Common Raven - 5
Barn Swallow - 2
Marsh Wren - 5
American Robin - 3
European Starling - some present
American Pipit - one flock and scattered individuals
Cedar Waxwing - 8
Yellow-rumped Warbler - 8
Common Yellowthroat - 2
Spotted Towhee - 1
Savannah Sparrow - 20
Fox Sparrow - 1
Song Sparrow - 10
Lincoln's Sparrow - 2
White-crowned Sparrow - 1
Golden-crowned Sparrow - 3
Red-winged Blackbird - 30

Dennis Arendt, Randy Sinnott, Judy Franzen, Scott McNeeley, Barry McKenzie, Tom Cable, Cindy Armstrong, Jim Regali, Sylvia Maulding, and Larry McQueen - later joined by Stephon Schlitze (spelling).

Join us on Facebook!