Date: 10/4/17 11:49 am
From: David Weaver <cygnus-dkw...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Spencer-Peirce-Little Farm & Plum Island - 10-04-17

David Moon and I led today's edition of Joppa Flats Education Center's
Wednesday Morning Birding program first to Spencer-Peirce-Little Farm
and then on to Plum Island and Parker River NWR.  Another day of
sunshine and warm temps -- clear skies, temps in low 70s, and winds
SW/5-10 mph - lovely!  However, it was slow birding . . . .

Our list (all on PI unless designated "SPL"):

Canada Goose
American Wigeon (16) - main panne.
American Black Duck - at least 200 throughout the marsh and on the
pannes (68 on main panne).
Mallard (1)
Green-winged Teal (~ 150) - Bill Forward Pool.
Double-crested Cormorant - common.
Great Blue Heron (4) - BFP [+1, SPL].
Great Egret (~ 15) - various.
Snowy Egret (3) - 1, BFP.
Turkey Vulture (~ 15) - on thermals migrating [+16, SPL].
Northern Harrier (2) - BFP.
[Red-tailed Hawk (2) - 1, SPL; 1, pink house, PI Tpk.]
Black-bellied Plover (6) - 5, BFP; 1, pannes.
Greater Yellowlegs (~ 9) - most in pannes.
Semipalmated Sandpiper (~ 20) - BFP.
White-rumped Sandpiper (2) - BFP.
Dunlin (200+) - BFP.
Stilt Sandpiper (1) - BFP.
Herring Gull - common.
Rock Pigeon (1)
Downy Woodpecker (1) - Goodno Woods.
[Northern Flicker (1) - SPL.]
Merlin (1) - BFP.
Peregrine (1) - BFP.
Blue Jay (~ 16) - mostly Goodno Woods.
American Crow - common.
[White-breasted Nuthatch (1) - SPL.]
American Robin (1) - Goodno Woods [+1, SPL].
Gray Catbird (1) - Goodno Woods.
European Starling
Cedar Waxwing (7) - Goodno Woods.
Eastern Towhee (4) - Goodno Woods.
[Savannah Sparrow (~ 20) - SPL.]
Song Sparrow (3) - various.
[Red-winged Blackbird (~ 25) - SPL.]
[House Finch (4) - SPL.]
House Sparrow - common.

We will meet again next week back at Joppa Flats at 0930 for Wednesday
Morning Birding. For more information about Joppa Flats programs, call
David Moon or Dave Larson at 978-462-9998.

Dave Weaver
Manchester, MA 01944
<cygnus-dkw...>

Join us on Facebook!