Date: 10/3/17 5:53 pm
From: Jeff Virant <rainbow...>
Subject: [wisb] Pileated Woodpecker's Peculiar Demise Update
Hi all,

Thanks to everyone for all of your ideas regarding the cause of the death of the Pileated Woodpecker lodged in a vertical crevice in a white pine tree about 10 feet off the ground. I was able to climb up to it today and in answer to those who posted ideas, there was no evidence that a foot or any other part of the bird was somehow trapped in the tree. In answer to another post, there was no sign of monofilament line entrapping it. The crevice itself was not particularly sharp-angled so it did not appear that getting trapped in the crevice itself was possible. As some of you suggested, I am prone to believe that a predator (accipiter or mammal such as a fisher) somehow stashed if there. Sad but very curious. Thanks to all of you for your ideas.

Best birding,

Jeff Virant
Deer Park, WI (Polk County)
<rainbow...>