Date: 10/2/17 5:45 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Allegheny Front (02 Oct 2017) 91 Raptors

UR 0 0 21
MK 0 0 1
SK 0 0 1

Total: 91 91 4396

Observation start time: 09:00:00
Observation end time: 17:15:00
Total observation time: 8.25 hours

Official Counter: Deb Bodenschatz

Observers: Bob Gorsuch, Bob Wertz, Dick Akers, Ed Gowarty, Jack Julian,
Janet Kuehl, Nancy Ott, Ron Rovansek, Tom & Sally Dick

Visitors:
Janet Kuehl, Bob Gorsuch, Ed Gowarty, Bob Wertz, Tom & Sally Dick, Dick
Akers, Nancy Ott, & Ron Rovansek & Jack Julian

Weather:
Clear and sunny with light SE wind which increased about 3 in the afternoon
to moderate SE wind (3-16 mph). High temp of 17.4. Valley was hazy early,
but cleared later.

Raptor Observations:
Most of the raptors were pretty good looks. Mostly Sharp-shinned Hawks
early. As the wind picked up late in the afternoon, so did the size of the
birds. We had 7 Bald Eagles (10:51, 4:03, 4:00, 4:12, 4:28, 4;31, & 4:51),
3 Juvenile, 3 Sub-adult and 1 adult. We also had 2 Golden Eagles (3:35 &
4:14), 1 adult and 1 Juvenile. We had a total of 23 Turkey Vultures, 11 of
which behaved as though migrating. We also had a beautiful, low adult
Peregrine Falcon that flew directly overhead, as did all the Eagles. We
also had a couple of local Red-tailed Hawks hanging around most of the day.

Non-raptor Observations:
Pileated Woodpecker 1, Cedar Waxwings 17, A. Robin 4, E. Towhee 3, Phoebe
1, Flicker 1, Raven 1, Crow 5, Non-migrating Turkey Vulture 12, Chimney
Swift 1, Blue Jay 7, Back-throated green 2.

Butterflies: Monarch 18
Red-spotted purple, Meadow Fritillary, Cabbage White, Sulphur, & an
American Copper.

Predictions:
Sunny and clear with light SSE wind (4-10 mph). A high temp of about 20 C
expected.
Report submitted by Deb Bodenschatz (<debbiebodenschatz...>)

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=111

Join us on Facebook!