Date: 10/2/17 5:49 pm
From: Nathaniel Wander <nw105...>
Subject: [obol] Amanda Rodewall talk at OSU Friday
Is there anyone driving from Portland to Corvallis on 10/06 for the talk on "Altered Species Interactions in Cities" who can accommodate a passenger?
Thanks. Nathaniel WanderPortland, OR
Max Planck is supposed to have said: A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and        making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die        and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it.Andreas Wagner observed of Planck's remark: Science, like nature, advances one funeral at a time.  (Arrival of the Fittest, p.197)

    #1:    From: Diane Bagues <dbagues...>
        Subject: [obol] NGS Bird app
    #2:    From: Kathleen Krall <krallfamily...>
        Subject: [obol] Small Grants Available
    #3:    From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...>
        Subject: [obol] R. B. A.  Tropical Kingbird at back entrance Hatfield
    #4:    From: =?UTF-8?Q?Jos=C3=A9e_Rousseau?= <josee.rousseau...>
        Subject: [obol] Seminar announcement - Dr. Amanda Rodewald
    #5:    From: Nagi Aboulenein <nagi.aboulenein...>
        Subject: [obol] Re: Sharp-tailed Sandpiper
    #6:    From: Range Bayer <range.bayer...>
        Subject: [obol] Fwd: R. B. A. Tropical Kingbird at back entrance Hatf
    #7:    From: Joel Geier <joel.geier...>
        Subject: [obol] Lewis's Woodpecker near Jefferson, Marion County
    #8:    From: <5hats...>
        Subject: [obol] another Condon bird
    #9:    From: "L Markoff" <canyoneagle...>
        Subject: [obol] Cedar Waxwings Eating Chokecherries
    #10:    From: "Cathy Nowak" <mcnowak...>
        Subject: [obol] Fund for Ornithology Grants Announced
    #11:    From: Will Risser <wlrisser...>
        Subject: [obol] Lost windbeaker and keys, Force Lake, Portland
    #12:    From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
        Subject: [obol] Curry Blackpoll et al. 10/1/2017
    #13:    From: Mary Lee Sayre <maryleesayre...>
        Subject: [obol] Re: Cedar Waxwings Eating Chokecherries
    #14:    From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
        Subject: [obol] Coos Tropical K 9/30/2017
    #15:    From: "Wayne Hoffman" <whoffman...>
    #16:    From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
        Subject: [obol] coast birds
    #17:    From: Ken Chamberlain <kjchamberlain...>
        Subject: [obol] OBA Bonney Butte Field Trip announcement
    #18:    From: <5hats...>
    #19:    From: Owen Schmidt <oschmidt...>
        Subject: [obol] Tuesday is Birders Night
    #20:    From: Harry Fuller <atowhee...>
        Subject: [obol] Tualatin River: peregrine, ducks, no shorebirds, many

Msg: #1 in digest
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2017 00:30:48 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
From: Diane Bagues <dbagues...>

body{font-size:10pt;font-family:arial,sans-serif;background
-color:#ffffff;color:black;}p{margin:0px;}Don't know if I've done this
right,or if someone has already posted it, but if if it goes through, a
headsup - the NGS Birds app will not work on Apple's new iOS 11 system.  At.
All.
When I contacted NGS, I received the following response:
"Thank you for contacting us regarding the National Geographic Birds: Field
Guide to North America app.

"We are very happy to hear that you have enjoyed using this app from
NationalGeographic. Unfortunately, we have made the difficult decision to
retire the product and you may notice that parts of the app are no longer
working or the app may cease to function altogether. Our product team is
currently working on plans to invest in new digital products that deliver a
similar experience in the future that we feel will best serve our audience
and support the National Geographic mission.

"We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for taking the time to
write us."

At this point it's still usable on devices not upgraded to the new iOS.
Mineremains on the iPhone I replaced, which still works off of wifi.

I lost a number of apps in this phone change.  Unlike with past upgrades,
they will not run at all, and give the option to Keep or Delete:  Most say
the developer needs to make the app compatible, but a few say the app is no
longer available in the Apps Store for download.  btw, the Apps Store itself
is no longer part of iTunes, and is accessible only via your (in my case
verysmall) device.

Diane Bagues

Milwaukie

------------------------------

Msg: #2 in digest
From: Kathleen Krall <krallfamily...>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2017 09:04:01 -0700

Small Grants Now Available!
October 1, 2017

The Oregon Birding Association Board of Directors is pleased to announce the availability of small grants of up to $500 each, for projects that further our mission to promote education, enjoyment, conservation and science of birds and birding in Oregon.

Application forms are now available. The deadline to apply is February 1, 2018. We anticipate making our selection at the March board meeting.
A second round of grants will be available in September, 2018; for these grants, apply by August 1, 2018.

For more information, and application materials, please check the Oregon Fund for Ornithology website
http://www.orbirds.org/fund.html or email the OBA board.

Kathy Krall for the OBA board of directors

------------------------------

Msg: #3 in digest
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2017 11:13:46 -0700
Subject: [obol] R. B. A.  Tropical Kingbird at back entrance Hatfield Marine Sc
From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...>

Iйн~є&›%^®,иџфљљЛ§ЂfҐk¬™Єн¦'

------------------------------

Msg: #4 in digest
From: =?UTF-8?Q?Jos=C3=A9e_Rousseau?= <josee.rousseau...>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2017 11:17:15 -0700

The second speaker in the Ecology and Conservation of Biodiversity seminar
series at OSU, Corvallis is a scientist studying birds. The talk is free
and open to public.
*Dr. Amanda Rodewald* is the endowed Garvin Professor and Director of
Conservation Science at the* Cornell Lab of Ornithology* and the Department
of Natural Resources at Cornell University.  Her talk “Altered species
interactions in cities and the role of anthropogenic inputs” will be held
on Friday Oct. 6, at 3-4 pm, in LINC 302.

Amanda's research program seeks to understand how human activities and
global change influence animal communities and then apply that
understanding to conservation. More information about Amanda can be found
at  https://dnr.cals.cornell.edu/people/amanda-rodewald

A poster about Amanda's talk is available here
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4wUmxJv1mSoWGRDYThiRDAxTEk/view>.

Feel free to join us!!

JosГ©e
JosГ©e Rousseau
PhD Student, Dept. Forest Ecosystems and Society
Oregon State University, Corvallis OR

<josee.rousseau...>
(541) 286-8617

------------------------------

Msg: #5 in digest
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2017 13:24:46 -0700
From: Nagi Aboulenein <nagi.aboulenein...>

Sharp-tailed Sandpiper YES, repeated good scope views between 11:00a and 1p. No good photos, unfortunately (what I call a 7-pixel bird).
Good Birding,

Nagi & Taghrid

On Sep 29, 2017, 20:32 -0700, Nels Nelson , wrote:

> For those that were wanting to see some photos of the Sharp-tailed SP, here's a few of the better ones I managed.В  I apologize for the poor quality, but it was the best I could manage under the circumstances (intermittent rain and poor light).
>
> Nels Nelson
> Hillsboro

> > On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 6:47 PM, J Hayes <balgryph...> wrote:
> > > Sharp-tailed Sandpiper still present today at 2:45 PM.В  The bird was often seen in close company with a Pec, allowing for easy comparison.В  There were about 115 dowitchers present, with the Sharp-tail and Pec feeding toward the back side of the flock.
> > >
> > > Jeff Hayes
> > >
> > > Portland

------------------------------

Msg: #6 in digest
From: Range Bayer <range.bayer...>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2017 13:31:04 -0700
Subject: [obol] Fwd: R. B. A. Tropical Kingbird at back entrance Hatfield Marin

From: Steve Holzman <steve.holzman...>
Date: Sun, Oct 1, 2017 at 12:23 PM
Subject: Re: [LCBNO] Fwd: [obol] R. B. A. Tropical Kingbird at back
entrance Hatfield Marine Science Center
To: Range Bayer <range.bayer...>
Cc: "Lincoln Co. Birding & Nature Observing" <LCBNO...>

Seen behind [HMSC] dorms now.

Steve Holzman
Newport, OR

From: Joel Geier <joel.geier...>
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2017 14:14:29 -0700

Hi all,

Bob Altman and I checked for LEWIS'S WOODPECKERS in some areas with
older oaks this morning, mainly in the Jefferson area of southwest
Marion County. We didn't find any at one private oak savanna site that's
been reliable in the past decade (upward of 20 one year after a burn).
However we finally saw one along Wintercreek Rd. about a half mile west
of Parrish Gap Rd.

We saw good numbers of LINCOLN'S SPARROWS and GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROWS
(the latter were mostly hatch-year birds), and a couple of SOOTY FOX
SPARROWS.

In addition we saw a group of four SAVANNAH SPARROWS that looked very
different from the ones that nest in our region. They had very extensive
pale yellow on the face (including the submoustachial and supraloral
tracts), and pronounced rufous in the wings.

We ran into a few flocks of YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS. Of the ones that I
saw well, all seemed to be Audubon's form. One of these flocks along
Summit Loop Rd. was feeding alongside WESTERN BLUEBIRDS, one of which
harassed a female HOUSE SPARROW, pecking her on the head.

--
Joel Geier
Camp Adair area north of Corvallis

------------------------------

Msg: #8 in digest
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2017 14:28:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: <5hats...>

I neglected to mention in my post last week that in Condon I also found a few Purple Finches, which, as it turned out, proved to be a Gilliam County first for me.

Darrel

------------------------------

Msg: #9 in digest
From: "L Markoff" <canyoneagle...>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2017 14:29:55 -0700

Add another species to the list of Chokecherry lovers.  :-)

https://www.flickr.com/gp/canyoneagle/0H6n8o

Lori Markoff

Eugene (South Hills)

------------------------------

Msg: #10 in digest
From: "Cathy Nowak" <mcnowak...>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2017 15:45:02 -0700

The OBA Board of Directors is happy to announce the selection of the U of O
Oregon Institute of Marine Biology and the USDA Forest Service Deschutes
National Forest as recipients of OBA Fund for Ornithology grants for the
fall grant cycle.
The Institute of Marine Biology will use the funds to help purchase display
cases for taxidermy bird mounts. These displays will add to existing
exhibits to help educate visitors about coastal wildlife, birds in
particular.

The Deschutes N. F. will use funds to assist in purchasing replacement
equipment and supplies for 2 Monitoring Avian Productivity and Survivorship
(MAPS) stations on the forest.

As posted earlier, the new grant cycle is open now. The deadline for
applications is February 1, 2018. For more information about the Fund for
Ornithology, www.orbirds.org <http://www.orbirds.org>

Cathy Nowak

President, OBA Board of Directors

Union, Oregon

------------------------------

Msg: #11 in digest
From: Will Risser <wlrisser...>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2017 15:49:03 -0700

This morning, October 1, I lost a navy blue rain jacket wIth a set of keys in the pocket in the area at Force Lake in Portland where birders were parking to look for the sharp-tailed sandpiper. If you found it, please contact me at <wlrisser...>  THANKS! Will Risser

Sent from my iPad
------------------------------

Msg: #12 in digest
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2017 16:21:33 -0700

I birded with Terry Wahl today in S. Curry. Best spot was Pistol River.
There was a BLACKPOLL WARBLER on the SE side of the hill there that I saw-
just as I was pointing it out to Terry a car pulled up to ask us what we
were seeing which was enough time for us to be distracted, the bird to fly
off, and not be refound. We looked for it for a while and so did the
Hinkles, O. Harper and H. Herlyn who arrived shortly after I saw the bird
but without luck. After they all left Terry and I saw a CC SPARROW up the
road NE of there near the houses. Pretty birdy there and elsewhere. The
Hinkles et al. found some good birds but nothing real rare- they
should have a good report but have a long drive home first.
Also in Coos Norm Shorts reports a SAY'S PHOEBE at Bandon Dunes golf course
today in same area one spent a couple months last fall.

Gorgeous sunny day on south coast!
Tim R
Coos Bay

------------------------------

Msg: #13 in digest
From: Mary Lee Sayre <maryleesayre...>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2017 16:27:24 -0700

I’ve understood that most of the wild cherry on the west side of the Cascades are Bittercherry, not Chokecherry.  I this so and do birds like Bittercherry?  I have some on my property and have not seen the birds eat it.

Mary Lee Sayre
Oakridge
> On Oct 1, 2017, at 2:29 PM, L Markoff <canyoneagle...> wrote:
>
> Add another species to the list of Chokecherry lovers.  :-)

> https://www.flickr.com/gp/canyoneagle/0H6n8o <https://www.flickr.com/gp/canyoneagle/0H6n8o>

> Lori Markoff
> Eugene (South Hills)

------------------------------

Msg: #14 in digest
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2017 16:28:02 -0700

I looked up the records and that was actually the 56th Coos record but only
the 4th in Sep.  50 of the records were in the last 20 yrs. When I saw my
first one in Coos in 1997 this was still a review species. The earliest
Coos record was Sep 16, 1984 by Roger Robb- wow that was 33 yrs ago Roger!
Tim

On Saturday, September 30, 2017, Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','<timrodenkirk...>');>> wrote:

> Holly, Pip and I observed our first Oregon TROPICAL KINGBIRD of the year
> along north dike old Weyco pond site N Spit Coos Bay about 4 this
> afternoon- still around on way back out but further north in the willows
> across the water from the powerline there. Of the 45+ Coos record only a
> handful are from Sep so this bird is a week or two earlier than when the
> first birds normally show up.
>
> Hundreds of CA Gulls coming into pond there then heading into bay. I have
> seen thousands coming off ocean, stop at pond, then head into bay this time
> of yr. and then head back out to ocean. Not sure what is up but they are
> quite noisy and regular in large numbers at this site this time of yr.
>
> Merry migration!
> Tim R
> Coos Bay

------------------------------

Msg: #15 in digest
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2017 16:34:14 -0700
From: "Wayne Hoffman" <whoffman...>

Hi -В
Lori's photos do appear to show chokecherries, not Bitter Cherries - the distribution of fruits on the tigs differs.

Band-tailed Pigeons definitely eat Bitter Cherries.

Wayne
On 10/1/2017 4:28:09 PM, Mary Lee Sayre <maryleesayre...> wrote:

I’ve understood that most of the wild cherry on the west side of the Cascades are Bittercherry, not Chokecherry.  I this so and do birds like Bittercherry?  I have some on my property and have not seen the birds eat it.

Mary Lee Sayre
Oakridge

On Oct 1, 2017, at 2:29 PM, L Markoff <canyoneagle...> [mailto:<canyoneagle...>]> wrote:

Add another species to the list of Chokecherry lovers.В В  :-)
https://www.flickr.com/gp/canyoneagle/0H6n8o [https://www.flickr.com/gp/canyoneagle/0H6n8o]
Lori Markoff
Eugene (South Hills)

------------------------------

Msg: #16 in digest
From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2017 17:13:20 -0700

Nothing especially rare on the way back from n. Curry Co. today, though I did find an “east side” Downy Woodpecker, amazingly white below, just north of Gold Beach.  There were two straggling Bt Gray Warblers at Arizona Beach Park.  I could not relocate the Am Golden Plover that was at Bandon on Friday.

Alan Contreras
<acontrer56...>

“Nostalgic for Nixon"

Eugene, Oregon

www.alanlcontreras.com

------------------------------

Msg: #17 in digest
From: Ken Chamberlain <kjchamberlain...>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2017 18:07:03 -0700

Oregon Birding Association- Hawkwatch at Bonney Butte Field Trip, Hood River, County.
Trip Leader:  Ken Chamberlain

When: Saturday October 14, 2017

Where: We meet at the Government Camp Rest Area on Highway 2, then carpool to the Hawkwatch International Bonney Butte site on the Mt Hood National Forest. The travel time from the Rest Area to the Trailhead is about 1 hour. Site Information: http://www.hawkwatch.org/migration/item/81-bonney-butte-hawkwatch <http://www.hawkwatch.org/migration/item/81-bonney-butte-hawkwatch>
Birds and site conditions: Migrating raptors will be observed from Bonney Butte.

The final 4 miles of the route are fairly rough with many boulders resulting in slow travel times. It is best traveled in a higher clearance vehicle. Passenger vehicles with slightly higher than normal clearance have made the trip with care. From the end of the road there is about a .5 mile walk uphill on a gravel road to the observation site.

Hawkwatch International bird monitoring activities at the site are weather dependent. Heavy rain or snow will cancel this field trip and require possible rescheduling.

How to register: This trip is limited to 12 persons.  Registration is required, click here for Bonney Butte trip registrationВ  <https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1RFCeBl5KGxdAN718FXrAOCyxtLOf6HrRgMIZn5lY4LY/edit>
Please contact me with all questions or comments regarding this trip. <kjchamberlain...> <mailto:<kjchamberlain...>

Ken Chamberlain
OBA Field Trip Coordinator

------------------------------

Msg: #18 in digest
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2017 19:50:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: <5hats...>

Absolutely. At least they eat the cherries. I have seen both Cedar Waxwings and American Robins feasting on them. However I can't recall seeing Band-tailed Pigeons do so, and they gorge on fruit of both cascara and elderberry trees. So perhaps the cherries are a "famine food" for birds when other food sources are not as readily available. But that is only a hypothesis.
Darrel

From: Owen Schmidt <oschmidt...>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2017 20:36:07 -0700

…… Tuesday, October 3rd, Portland Audubon House, 5151 NW Cornell Road, 7:00 pm.  Wink Gross will show video of birds from the Atlantic rainforest of southeast Brazil.  Easy bird quiz.  Potpourri.  Bring your bird photos or videos or come to see what others bring.  Free!

<oschmidt...>
Sunday, October 1, 2017

------------------------------

Msg: #20 in digest
From: Harry Fuller <atowhee...>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2017 21:31:32 -0700
Subject: [obol] Tualatin River: peregrine, ducks, no shorebirds, many migrants

https://atowhee.wordpress.com/2017/10/01/tualatin/
--
Harry Fuller
author of *Great Gray Owls of CA-OR-WA*, see:

End of obol Digest V6 #308

Join us on Facebook!