Date: 10/2/17 9:20 am
From: Barbara M Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Wachusett Mountain (01 Oct 2017) 272 Raptors

Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2017 19:33:41 -0800
From: <reports...>
Subject: Wachusett Mountain (01 Oct 2017) 272 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 3 3 8
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 3 3 60

Total: 272 272 11231

Observation start time: 07:30:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 8.5 hours

Official Counter: Rod Chase

Observers: Bob Secatore, Dan Rossman, Janet Kovner, Kathryn Chihowski,
Matt Bollus, Nancy Given, Rod Chase, Tom Gottschang

Visitors:
Observers: Janet Kovner, Nancy Given, Rod Chase, Bob
Secatore, Nancy Chihowski, Matt Bolus, Tom Gottschang,
Dan Rossman.
Also: Chris Hege, Meghan Gately, Joe Ritacco, John Ryan,
Jim McCoy, Jackie Boucher, Kathy and Jay Dia. Finally,
anew and young enthusiast Tom Lupien with experienced
parents Tom and Helen!
Many hikers and visitors and pups on the hill today!

Weather:
7:30am to 4pm 8.5 hrs.
All blue for most of the day with a 46F start gradually
warming to 56F at 2pm. Winds were 5-10mph from North at
start and 5-8 West at 4pm. Otherwise 0-5 from NNW for all
hours in between. Hazy but not too bad.

Raptor Observations:
To make Surprise Cake:
Start with frost to the north causing birds to be ready
to work to 'get out of Dodge'. Add a cool morning with a
light and steady breeze from the NNW all morning.
Bake under sun for 1.5 hours, then:
Sprinkle with surprised observers who enjoyed come-and-go
bursts of activity all day long.
The Surprise: I was hoping for 41 birds and our 11,000th
raptor of the year. 272/11,231 works fine!

Many birds flying low early then all heights after 10am.
All PG's were immature.
BE's: adult, 9:50; ad. 10:33; 2 ad.'s (male, female
together), 11:50; 2 imm. (1 to E, 1 NW)), 12:45; 1 ad.
plus 2 imm. travelling together, 3:25; also together
1 imm. & 1 sub-adult, 3:40.

Non-raptor Observations:
Local raptors: TV 50+; RT: 8 up most of day; ML 1, BE 1.
Non-raptors: 7 Common Ravens, 78 geese migrating.
Monarchs:30.

Predictions:
Tonight
Clear, with a low around 42. Light northwest wind.
Monday
Sunny, with a high near 67. Light and variable wind
becoming north around 5 mph.

Nice, but ... Clarry Hill zero in 12 hrs. today and
Cadillac Mt. had 16 in 7 hrs. Glad we got birds today ..!
Report submitted by Rod Chase (<rodchase...>)
Wachusett Mountain information may be found at:
www.massbird.org/emhw

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=228

--b1_d8bf5a09766df3435449e0fc872209a8

Join us on Facebook!