Date: 10/1/17 10:04 pm
From: John Callender <jbc...> [sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [sbcobirding] Northern Pygmy Owl - Romero Canyon
Following up to the list because my private correspondence with Mark was
too good not to share.

I was with Curtis Marantz and Larry Ballard coming down the trail a little
ways ahead of Mark and his companion. When we passed through the big trees
in the creek bottom Curtis tried calling a Northern Pygmy Owl by imitating
its hooting. After a few minutes he gave up and we kept walking. So I
wondered: If Mark had identified the owl by ear, was it possible he'd heard
Curtis rather than an actual owl?

I emailed Mark to mention the possibility, but the joke was on me: He'd
identified the owl visually. He'd seen us ahead of him on the trail, and
just as we departed the area an owl flew in behind us and landed in a tree.
Mark called "owl!" to us, but we didn't hear him and kept walking. He got a
documentation photo that he sent me; that owl was adorable. I wish I'd
stayed to see it! :-)

On Sun, Oct 1, 2017 at 12:21 PM, <alpen0glow...> [sbcobirding] <
<sbcobirding-noreply...> wrote:

> Went up the Romero Canyon fire road yesterday late afternoon but missed
> the Broad-winged Hawks, but on the way out did encounter a Northern Pygmy
> Owl after 6:00 pm just a couple hundred yards up the trail.
>

> Mark Bright, Santa Barbara

Join us on Facebook!