Date: 10/1/17 2:15 pm
From: Joel Geier <joel.geier...>
Subject: [obol] Lewis's Woodpecker near Jefferson, Marion County
Hi all,

Bob Altman and I checked for LEWIS'S WOODPECKERS in some areas with
older oaks this morning, mainly in the Jefferson area of southwest
Marion County. We didn't find any at one private oak savanna site that's
been reliable in the past decade (upward of 20 one year after a burn).
However we finally saw one along Wintercreek Rd. about a half mile west
of Parrish Gap Rd.

We saw good numbers of LINCOLN'S SPARROWS and GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROWS
(the latter were mostly hatch-year birds), and a couple of SOOTY FOX
SPARROWS.

In addition we saw a group of four SAVANNAH SPARROWS that looked very
different from the ones that nest in our region. They had very extensive
pale yellow on the face (including the submoustachial and supraloral
tracts), and pronounced rufous in the wings.

We ran into a few flocks of YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS. Of the ones that I
saw well, all seemed to be Audubon's form. One of these flocks along
Summit Loop Rd. was feeding alongside WESTERN BLUEBIRDS, one of which
harassed a female HOUSE SPARROW, pecking her on the head.

--
Joel Geier
Camp Adair area north of Corvallis

POST: Send your post to <obol...>