Date: 9/30/17 8:51 pm
From: Nickel, James B <James.Nickel...>
Subject: Re: Morton County Question
Thanks to all for responding to my question about sapsuckers. I believe the general advice is a person should be wary about Red-naped Sapsucker identification in Kansas.
I remember some discussion about the Lawrence bird from the past, but I never remembered it was thought to be a hybrid. So, the link to the article was very helpful. The summery was very good in pointing out 2 things important to separating Red-naped from Yellow-bellied in the field: (1) The proportion of black vs white on the back. (2) presence or absence of red in the dark malar in adult males.
One last thing, I observed a Red-breasted sapsucker in Alaska. The bird exhibited flycatcher behavior. It would sit on a branch, then go after an insect and flutter. It repeated this several times. I have never seen a woodpecker do this before or since. It seemed odd. Thanks again Jim