Date: 9/30/17 11:29 am
From: Nick Bonomo via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] 9/30 Durham birds, 9/29 Bluff Pt
I got out for a few hours late this morning around the Durham area.
Passerine numbers were low, and it is clear from the past two mornings that
sparrow migration has not yet entered its peak. Highlights:

Durham, Skating Pond - CACKLING GOOSE flyby with Canadas, DICKCISSEL along
the berm on the south side of the pond
Durham, White Farm - TENNESSEE WARBLER, DICKCISSEL heard only
Meriden, Bishops Pond - 16 AMERICAN WIGEON, 11 GREEN-WINGED TEAL,
RING-NECKED DUCK

Also, the finally tally for Bluff Point on Friday, as far as I know, was 18
species of warbler including TENNESSEE, HOODED, CAPE MAY, BAY-BREASTED, and
BLACKBURNIAN. The flight wasn't huge but there was no real dominant species
and there were multiples of many. The most numerous warblers were Northern
Parula, Yellow-rumped, and Palm. There were surprisingly few Blackpolls!
Woodpeckers were well-represented including several Yellow-bellied
Sapsuckers and Red-bellied Woodpeckers in morning flight. Typical October
migrants such as Blue-headed Vireo and both kinglets also came through in
some numbers. Sparrow numbers were low.

Those at the hot corner itself reported nice views of many birds stopping
before continuing their flight. I spent most of my time watching birds in
flight from the playground on the other side of the RR tracks, which can be
a good place to study and photograph birds in flight for longer (you don't
really see anything land there, though).

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT
www.shorebirder.com