Date: 9/28/17 9:14 pm
From: Tom SHANE <tom.shane...>
Subject: Some Finney County. Birds
The rainfall maps indicated that NC FICo was our best hope for locating some playas, and we had fair luck. About 2pm this afternoon Sara and I along with Dan LaShelle headed out. Our best birds included:

Six duck species, some coots and single Great Blue Heron and WF Ibis.

One adult Broad-winged Hawk hanging out and flying around with a group of
Swainson's Hawks in very open country. It was miles to the nearest tree.

Swainson's Hawks: a total of 195 in a half dozen groups.

American Kestrel ,............. 11
Killdeer .............................. 102
Pectoral Sandpiper ,.,......... 5
Northern Flicker .................. 14

We pulled into a farm house drive surrounded by pine trees, we stopped to listen and observed 5 Ruby-crowned Kinglets in one tree.

When we departed Garden City at 2pm it was 64F. By 3:30pm the front reached us and a light rain had started. It wasn't long and it fell to 53F.
Tom Shane
67846

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html
For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to