Date: 9/28/17 5:48 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (28 Sep 2017) 12 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 12 11349 11358

Observation start time: 10:00:00
Observation end time: 18:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Carol Majors, Kathleen Pileggi, Lorrie Sherron

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (9): Carol Majors, Ron Majors, Kathleen Pileggi, Lorrie Sherron,
Tommy Sherron, Gwen Lacy (plus 1), Lea Gummey.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Sunny (0% cloud cover), Ceiling - 30,000 ft., Visibility - 10 miles, Temps
68 - 74F, Winds NW @ 10 - 15 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered Hawk,
4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (65) and Turkey Vultures (75).

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“Lift Your Hearts”---

This one, as mine always are, will be short and sweet. What? I’m not
always?? In truth, I had so much for this blog, about my adventures of the
day at the doctor’s office, but it is not appropriate for a general public
blog…but funny!?? Yes, it was – but in an embarrassing way! If you want
it, I’ll finish writing it and send it your way - BY REQUEST ONLY, but by
doing so, you relinquish all rights to censorship and sensitivity. Just so
we understand each other.

Thanks Carol & Ron for the list of birds seen prior to my late arrival
today. I was late, as I had an appointment. Gwen was here today with her
crew from The Land Conservancy for Southern Chester County. Sorry Gwen,
the deep blue sky was the kiss of death on this very slow day for watching
migration unfold.

But… our first obvious flock of migrant Canada Geese came by at 2pm – about
50 birds. Soon, several hundred more, higher up, were on their way to
populate the southern states.. Brings back your childhood mysteries of
birds & nature….doesn’t it? Their sounds lift my heart, stretching the
limits of what I think our possibilities are. How about you? I can
remember their huge flocks calling in v-formation, over my childhood falls
in the back yard. Ahhh….
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
1-Ruby-crowned Kinglet, 2-Magnolia Warbler, 2-American Redstart.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (12): Monarch - 32, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Orange Sulphur, Common Checkered Skipper, Buckeye, Variegated
Fritillary, Wild Indigo Duskywing, Sachem. Dragonflies (2): Green Darner,
Black Saddlebags. Reptiles & Amphibians (0): Mammals (1): Eastern
Cottontail.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 3.33; Steps: 7,811; Floors: 40.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 42; this season: 111
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like a mostly sunny day, with just a few clouds and
lighter winds. Could be OK, if we can see them.
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek