Date: 9/28/17 3:56 pm
From: Brian Patteson <patteson1...>
Subject: Re: CHAT and CBC newsletter- All back issues NOW ONLINE
Thanks, Don. This is a great resource. And thanks too to Kent, as I have had some time to pore over old Chats on the CBC website in the last couple of weeks.

There is a lot to learn from these journals. Before Carolinabirds and now eBird, the briefs in the Chat and the regional reports in American Birds- now North American Birds- was where you had to go to find the records and make sense of what was going on. You still have to go back to these journals if you really want to get a grasp of what has changed in terms of bird distribution and abundance and migration timing over the last several decades. eBird is great for the present time, but archival records there are comparatively sparse and mostly limited to submissions from those still living. If you want to know what went on before, either you have to have lived it or you have to dig, and this is how you can do the latter. Read the Chat briefs and you will was find out who was in the field a lot in past decades. So then if you are a young birder starting out, you know who to talk to and learn from. We used to seek these people out and you can learn so much from them if you are able to get into the field with them. Not sure how many youngsters are likely to see my screed here, but got to put it out there in case. And really the same goes for new birders picking it up at an older age- go back and read about what you missed.

Brian Patteson
Hatteras, NC

> On Sep 28, 2017, at 5:40 PM, Seriff, Donald <Donald.Seriff...> wrote:
>
> Hi Carolina Birders,
>
> I would like to announce that all back issues of The Chat, the Ornithological Journal of the Carolinas, are now on-line for public reference.
>
> This includes Vol. 1 No. 1, published in 1937 through Vol. 79 No. 4, published in 2015.
>
> I have been working with Patrick Randall with the Ernst Mayer Library, Museum of Comparative Zoology, at Harvard University over the past year and one-half to get the remaining issues scanned at Harvard. The Chat is now an official part of the international Biodiversity Heritage Library (BHL).

> You can use this link to directly access all back issues of The Chat:
>
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.biodiversitylibrary.org_bibliography_120122-23_summary&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=f071fshwrJa4_lXgyao3mevUU6liIx8gC4UIySP6OSM&s=8cwtwZb0tu8UgPHprY_CHpGEzCxh_E08xx8rtAnv5Ww&e= <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.biodiversitylibrary.org_bibliography_120122-23_summary&d=DwMFAg&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=57EtkmUni1FpMYTg8r9aNWw-3fgnUvYOcd5rWWMI17A&s=0CCN_LpMrIlgncQHpjL3eAYWibi6J7JG11wZLI4TLG8&e=>
>

> We are still working on digitizing the back issues of the Carolina Bird Club newsletter. A portion of these (back to 1983) are available on-line at the BHL as well. (Thanks to Steve Shultz for help with this.)
>
> You can use this link to directly access back issues of the Carolina Bird Club newsletter:
>
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.biodiversitylibrary.org_bibliography_121285-23_summary&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=f071fshwrJa4_lXgyao3mevUU6liIx8gC4UIySP6OSM&s=JeXNdMSfRV1M1pWpx6Bk5W-HyVO4pcA7zJrAvQJ5vck&e= <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.biodiversitylibrary.org_bibliography_121285-23_summary&d=DwMFAg&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=57EtkmUni1FpMYTg8r9aNWw-3fgnUvYOcd5rWWMI17A&s=m44E7OZ-xutuO2Qucp1du1Km8gIXgsKt2VBxCqF8fek&e=>
>
> I shared my complete collection of The Chat with Harvard for digitization, however, we have only been able to obtain back issues of the CBC newsletter back to 1983. I have a poorly digitized .pdf file that I scanned of newsletters from 1952-1972 that is not of sufficient quality for on-line use. Please let me know if you have or know of someone who has any back issues of the CBC newsletter – earlier than Vol. 29 No. 3 1983. The only library that I know of that has these older issues is UNC Chapel Hill. We will work with them next if we cannot find any other back issues to use.
>
> I hope all Carolina Birders are also aware that:

> [...]

Join us on Facebook!