Date: 9/28/17 1:03 pm
From: Osness <ravenbuddhanow...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Harbinger of winter at the Ledges
I spent the morning at Ledges State Park this morning hoping to see a few
warblers and some migrating hawks. But I found just two warblers, Nashville
and Tennessee; and hardly any hawks. However, I did see 2 Eastern Towhees,
3 Pileated Woodpeckers, and what I consider to be the early avian harbinger
of winter: Dark-eyed Junco. On another note I stopped briefly at Grammer
Grove late yesterday, just a couple of accipiters migrating; but I heard
the wings of over 100 Franklin's Gulls as they flew low overhead.
Fascinating sound.
Nick Osness
Ames, Iowa